If you have no time to visit Sahara when in Marrakech, but still desperately want a camel ride experience, then a ride between palm trees in ,,a desert outside the city” with the view of Atlas Mountains, is you next best option!
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR TRIP:
- DURATION OF TRIP: 3-4 hours (with pick up and drop-off at your hotel), actual ride approximately 1 hour
- LOCATION: Palmeraie – the palm oasis outside of the city
- PRICE: 40 EUR per person
- AGENCY: Travel Link Morocco
- CONTACT INFO: email@example.com Phone: +212524424880
- TIME OPTIONS: You can go on a trip in the morning or afternoon. I prefer afternoon so you have a chance to catch the most breathtaking views of Atlas at sunset.
- WHAT TO WEAR: Depending on a season and temperature, but I would advise you to bring a jacket or a cover up, as it gets colder after the sunset.
- WHAT TO BRING: Don’t forget to bring a bottle of water and a sunscreen, to protect you from sun! As well few dirhams for a tip will make a day for the cammel owner.
I have a strong love for all sorts of animals, but camels have always been one of my favorites. That is why I was thrilled when Travel Link Morroco invited me on a day trip to Palmeraie to experience camel rides with the view of breathtaking Atlas Mountains. In afternoon a driver came to pick me and my friend up to take us to the North-East part of Marrakech, called Palmeraie. It took us about 30-40 minutes to get from busy hectic Marrakech to rural Morocco, which was an experience by itself. For a second I tought we got lost, when we turned into a path that kind of looked like a street, with children playing around and elderly sitting next to our car. But after few more minutes we arrived to a starting point of much-anticipated camel ride, hotel LE MIRAGE where they welcomed us with a traditional mint tea and some pastries. We were excited but not really sure what to expect. After a tea break a friendly man came to us, not speaking any word of English, but we communicated perfectly. He showed me a traditional blue dress with white lace details to put on, while he was wrapping a white protective scarf around my head. Once we were all dressed up, we were ready to go.
It has truly been one of the most amazing experiences in my life and for one hour, somewhere between palm trees not far from Atlas mountains, I was in complete peace. I had Kaviza (my camel) kindly landing me her hump for a ride, perfectly pink sunset lightening the snowy peaks of Atlas and a humbled man, singing the whole way with a smile on his face! What more can a person wish for? True poetry!
I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who wish for a unique desert experience with a peek of a local life. The trip absolutely exceeded all of our expectations!